Saturday, October 9, 2010

Facial Upgrade

Yesterday, my momma and I went to Macon to the dermatologist office for me to have a facial upgrade (a procedure if you will). Several years ago I suffered from terrible acne (thank you mom) and after I got help clearing that up, I was left with clear yet scarred skin. On one hand, I'm okay with these scars. They help me remember that at one time, I was not so satisfied with my looks for good reason. On the other hand, they bother me. Really, really bother me. So, I decided to seek help from my dermatologist, Dr. Kent, and do something about my scars instead of just not be happy with the way I look.
I figured this facial upgrade would hurt a little, but I don't think I was fully prepared for what would happen. You have to wash your face with special antibacterial soap before you go and put bactroban under in your naval, nose and under your nails. Then, when we got there, I had to sit in a room with a numbing cream (that looked like mayonnaise) all over my face for about an hour (no...seriously... an hour). Then...they put goggles over you eyes and you lay there as a very nice woman zaps your face with a laser. At first, it really wasn't so bad. That girl did a pretty good job slathering numbing cream all over my face. What I didn't know until we'd already started was that she wouldn't just go over my face once. She would go over every inch twice. Now, the first time, I could barely feel the little stings, but the second time! Oh lordy! It felt like a very mean person was shocking my face over and over again. Or like a jellyfish got ahold of me! Yikes did it hurt! She told me she would stop if I really needed her to, but I sucked it up and thought it would be better if she just finished all at once!
After you get your face burned off, they let you cool down. They had the most fabulous roller that is icy cold out of the freezer that you rub all over your face! I'm sure I scared some people after I left. As Lauren told me, it looked like I had a red beard all over the lower portion of my face. It didn't hurt at that point, but the ice packs they gave me to take home sure were nice. I even felt good enough to go to Hobby Lobby and Target and I was hopping the people were paying more attention to James than they were to me!
Today was not so pleasant. I woke up and felt the swelling immediately. I washed my face and then looked in the mirror and started crying. My whole face was swollen and had little tiny spots of blood! It didn't hurt necessarily, I think it really just scared me more than anything. They tell you not to wear makeup for 48 hours after getting the procedure. Ah, trust me, I'm not going anywhere and even if I was, makeup could definitely not cover the disaster that my face is right now! As the day has gone on, my swelling has gone down significantly and I'm so thankful! I'll post an update after I'm completely recovered. I think I'll have to get 4 or 5 more treatments and I'm hoping each one becomes less painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment